How Effective is Stem Cell Therapy
Stem cell therapy has become popular among the public as well as in the scientific field. Thus, you may wonder what stem cells are, how do they work and how effective they are in treating certain diseases and injury. It is important for you to understand the potential benefits of stem cell therapies so it may benefit you and your family.
What is stem cell therapy and how does it work?
Stem cells are able to build all the tissues in the human body and differentiate into blood, bone, cartilage, muscle and fat tissues cell1. Stem cell therapy has the potential to restore our body function by regenerating, replacing, and repairing damaged tissues using stem cells. Hence, stem cell therapy may have the capability to treat certain diseases, health-related conditions, injuries or dysfunctional tissues2.
How does stem cell therapy being used to treat disease?
Stem cells infusion is one of the common types of stem cell therapy that applied intravenous methods to infuse stems cells directly into human body and you would not feel painful at all during the infusion process3. Then, the infused stem cells would deliver to different parts of the body and regenerate the tissues that is destroyed by injuries, diseases or even chemotherapy. Stem cell infusion targets on wider change of whole-body regeneration rather than focusing on specific area of the body such as knee pain4. Hence, these cells are beneficial in improving overall well-being and quality of life of the individual.
Not only that, stem cell-based therapies can also be used in examining the mechanism on development of stem cells into heart muscles cells and thus it is able to help during the process of inducing heart muscle for repairing purpose of the body after myocardial infarction happened. In addition, stem cells may also be applied when investigating certain diseases, discovering new medication, or even examining the negative effects of medication in our body.
What diseases can be treated by stem cell therapies?
Stem cell therapies could be used to5:
- May treat diseases or injuries related to bone, skin and surface of the eye.
- May treat neurological diseases/issues such as spinal cord injury, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease by replacing the neurons damaged with stem cells1.
- Aid in producing insulin that is beneficial for people with diabetes6.
- Aid in producing cartilage to repair damage tissues caused by arthritis or osteoarthritis7,8.
- Replace or repaire injured/dysfunction tissues such as burns, and surface wound healing.
- May treat autoimmune diseases such as Type 1 diabetes and Rheumatoid Arthritis by producing insulin, reducing pain and inflammation.
- May treat erectile dysfunction and muscle loss by recovering/healing body function9
- May help in restoring immune function to fight against diseases or illness4.
- May help in regenerating hair growth as well as enhancing skin tone and appearance4
The Laureate Wellness is provided this service and it available in Petaling Jaya, Kuala Lumpur.
Why should choose The Laureate Wellness?
|1. Safe – Oriented medical center which under the umbrella of Beacon group companies.
2. Collaborate with a team of professionals under a certified laboratory which is on human stem cell technology in the field of regenerative medicine for many years.
|3. An innovation driven clinical stage biopharmaceutical laboratory focused on developing noel stem cell therapeutics to address major unmet medical needs.
4. Focus on developing tailor-made therapist which are more accurate, efficacious and safe for various degenerative disease
Scientific researchers are continuously working on examining the efficacy and safety of stem cell treatments. Since stem cell research is complex and complicated, it takes a longer time to prove the effectiveness of the treatment. Hence, the public is advised to always look for stem cell therapies that are approved by Ministry of Health (MOH) or U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for safety purposes as well as performed by certified healthcare professionals.
Written by: Wern Lli Yap, nutritionist, Bsc (Hons) Food Science and Nutrition
- 1. Ul Hassan, A., Hassan, G., & Rasool, Z. (2009). Role of stem cells in treatment of neurological disorder. International journal of health sciences, 3(2), 227–233.
S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (n.d.). FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies. Retrieved from: https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/fda-warns-about-stem-cell-therapies
The University of Chicago Medical Center. (2020). The Stem Cell Transplant Process. Retrieved from https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/cancer/types-treatments/stem-cell-transplant/process
(n.d.). Stem Cell IV Infusion: What to Expect and the Benefits. Retrieved from https://www.bioxcellerator.com/blog/stem-cell-iv-infusion-what-to-expect-and-the-benefits#:~:text=Stem cell IV rejuvenation, also,spread out throughout the process.
0. (2019). The Power of Stem Cells. Retrieved from https://www.cirm.ca.gov/patients/power-stem-cells
Shahjalal, H. M., Dayem, A. A., Lim, K. M., Jeon, T. I., & Cho, S. G. (2018). Generation of pancreatic β cells for treatment of diabetes: advances and challenges. Stem cell research & therapy, 9(1), 1-19.
Gangji, V., De Maertelaer, V., & Hauzeur, J. P. (2011). Autologous bone marrow cell implantation in the treatment of non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head: five year follow-up of a prospective controlled study. Bone, 49(5), 1005-1009.
Zhao, D., Cui, D., Wang, B., Tian, F., Guo, L., Yang, L., ... & Yu, X. (2012). Treatment of early stage osteonecrosis of the femoral head with autologous implantation of bone marrow-derived and cultured mesenchymal stem cells. Bone, 50(1), 325-330.
He, M., & von Schwarz, E. R. (2020). Stem-cell therapy for erectile dysfunction: a review of clinical outcomes. International journal of impotence research, 1-7.